A recurring post to discuss healthy or unhealthy choices we made this week, talk about why we feel rundown, remember the 2003 sleeper hit The Rundown with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Sean “Not An Inanimate Object” William Scott, and anything else we’re thinking, eating, or doing right now.
It’s 5 pm EST (sorry ‘bout that time difference, Whit) on a Friday and like most like-minded individuals not working over the weekend, I am itching to GTFO of the office and grind up on that weekend. This week was a doozy: I’m on week 3 of a new workout plan (more on this in a later post) and my body is in a constant battle with my brain. My family dragged me on an accidental* 6 mile hike on Sunday after my cousin’s wedding and subsequent red wine hangover, and it hit me that my hangover was gone by the time the hike was over. I spent most of Monday hobbling my sore body around the office, only using the handicap restroom (needed those handrails), and mentally convincing myself that eating ice cream was the only thing that could ease my aching bones. A guilty conscience brought me to the gym after work and I realized halfway through my workout that my muscles felt stronger and as long as I was moving, my body felt better. Is this how athletes feel? Am I on my way to being model thin? No…am I one my way to being fitness model thin?
Somehow I kept the momentum going and managed to get to the gym for the next two days without fail (do I get a medal or something?) before taking Thursday off to rebuild – read: eat half a rotisserie chicken and drink pineapple and rum drinks in Williamsburg. I’ve noticed that while I am starting to get into the habit of working out, my diet is still incredibly difficult to manage. Here’s a quick list of snacks and drinks that were at some points literally shoved in front of my face this week:
- Free wine. Twice. Both times at happy hours on my floor at work. I didn’t even have to leave the office!
- A cheese plate piled high with spanish almonds, olives, fruit spreads, and every cheese imaginable. I was sweating more than the gouda just trying to avoid it.
- A table covered in grilled cheese, assorted meats, and french fries. A steady combination of free drinks and a my just-a-little-too-tight shirt kept me just seconds away from laying on top of the table and embarrassing myself in front of my peers.
- 14 pizzas. To be fair, they were not all for me but freshman year of college Chelsea would have for sure made a dent.
- The 18,780** restaurants that are scattered through Manhattan. I pass roughly 28 restaurants alone on my way to the gym every day. I’m not a hero but for the most part I’ve been able to avoid them.
- Did I mention that I am currently producing shoots for a prominent cracker and cookie brand? My desk is currently covered in tiny cheese crackers and heavenly chocolate cookies. My own version of Guantanamo torture.
Temptation is everywhere right now but at least it’s Friday afternoon, no one has asked me to “fuk” via Tinder in over a week, and this blog is the most excited I’ve been about anything in a long time. Please note that Whitney is being a #girlboss and professional #biznesswoman taking meetings today so she will not be contributing to this Friday’s Rundown. You go girl.
I know it takes 21 days to start a habit and while I am definitely forcing myself to the gym more than I ever have in my life, I wonder how many days it takes to stop thinking about ice cream as a food group? Happy Friday, y’all and see you next week.
* Accidental because we were told it was a 3 mile round-trip hike and it was 3 miles one way. I have since murdered the person that told us this information.
** I did not make this number up. A somewhat questionable website called “Shift Gig” told me this number. I always trust a shady website.